5 Reasons To Take Your Dog For A Walk
Now that the weather is getting nicer, it’s a great time to get outside with your pup and take a walk! It’s important to make time to head outside and go for a stroll with your dog because it offers some awesome benefits for you both!
Here are 5 reasons you should get outside and take your pup for a walk!
1. Taking your dog for a walk is good exercise for you and your pup! Making time for exercise for you and your pet throughout the week is beneficial for both you and your pet. Walking your dog is great exercise for both you and your dog and can also contribute to helping your pet stay healthy, agile, and limber.
2. A lot of jobs require you to work indoors for multiple hours in a row; therefore getting some fresh air is really nice after being cooped up all day. The same goes for your dog; while you’re at work they’re probably indoors all day as well. Going outside for a walk is a great way to appreciate our earth and to breathe in some fresh air. Going outdoors can actually ease depression. According to a study from the University of Michigan, nature walks are linked to enhanced mental health and positivity.
3. Walking does a lot to help our bodies and walking actually helps with digestion. Studies have shown that a post-meal walk can help with digestion. When walking, the rate at which food moves through the stomach increases. Walking also lowers blood sugar after meals, which decreases cardiovascular risk and potential signal diabetes.
4. Another positive about walking your dog is that it gives you and your dog a chance to bond. Because of work or school, you may not be able to spend as much time with your dog as you would like to, impacting the relationship you have with your dog. Walking your dog is a great way to show your dog that you want to spend time with them and connect with them.
5. Going on walks also increases trust between you and your dog since spending more time with your dog will increase the trust your dog has for you. For example, the more you get to know other people the more you trust them. This is how dogs react too. Giving your dog attention and love will show them that you care about them therefore they will give you trust.
Let us know down in the comments some positive experiences you’ve had walking your dog!
Featured Image Credit: Mike Steele (modified)